Wednesday 10 December 2014

Entering the Winter, I See Snow!

We crossed back over into Nevada, heading North for hot springs in Idaho.
We spent the night at Great Basin National Park. I was really excited to go there to see the Bristlecone Pines (the oldest non-clonal living things, some of these trees are like 4, 000 years old!). Sadly, upon arrival we found out that the road up to the trees was closed for the winter, due to snow... So we would have to hike the 10kms to get up there... We had intentions to do so, but after a freezing night (literally) camping, we were both too cold and stiff to feel like walking anywhere! So, back in the car with the heated seats on! I'll go back there some other time - the trees aren't going anywhere.

Today we made it to Sun Valley (Ketchum), Idaho. We're out of the deserts and into the snowy mountains!! This trip has been good to ease me into the winter - starting off in shorts in California and adding layers day by day! Now I'm getting kind of nervous knowing that I won't be in warm weather again for quite some time... But it's beautiful up here. We pulled in just as it was getting dark. The little town is all decked out with Christmas lights and there is snow on the ground! Feels like a "proper" festive season. I'm excited to explore in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment