Monday 8 December 2014

Over the Colorado River... And on to ZION!

This is a view of the Colorado River from the bridge over it. We had to drive along the Grand Canyon for quite a way before we could cross it. Pretty cool to look down at the water that created it all!



So, our next destination was Zion National Park. I had huge expectations... and they were totally blown out of the water! What an INCREDIBLE place.
Mountains and rock faces rising up to enclose the sanctuary within. I hate to sound cliche, but this place really moved me.



On the first day we did a walk up to waterhole that runs into the river. We had to walk under a waterfall that ran over a hanging cliff! Then today we did a hike called Angel's Landing. Very, very steep, we got up to the top of one of the mountain heads. At the lookout, there was an option to continue along a treacherous, path-less, narrow climb up to the summit. I had heard the warnings, I knew it was not for the faint hearted, and yet I thought I was capable. I was wrong... I made it about a quarter of the way, clinging onto the chain that lead up the cliff-face, when I turned a corner and realised there was no way I could continue without my knees knocking and probably a constant flow of tears! I decided it was best for everyone that I turn back and just enjoy the lookout. A little disappointed, but the view was still unreal! Note the river and the road way, way down...






Sadly, we left Zion today so that we could make it to Bryce Canyon. But Bryce did not even compare... It's a pretty cool place, but coming from Zion made it seem dull in our eyes. Lots of sandstone pillars, standing in a natural amphitheatre. We had a bit of a look around, but ended up scooting out and heading north, looking for hot springs!


I guess my eyes are just being spoiled!

No comments:

Post a Comment