Friday 5 December 2014

To the Grand Canyon

We headed towards the canyon, entering Arizona. We made it to Flagstaff, a town high up in the hills. Pretty cool place, but I was denied a drink anywhere I went because I wasn't carrying my passport! Guess I should keep it on me...
It rained for a few days, so we hung out in town, getting organised for the next leg of the journey. While waiting for the weather to clear, we did a quick trip to Walnut Canyon where there are ancient houses built into the cliffside.




Then on to the Canyon. We were planning to do a hike all the way down into it this weekend, but in the end we don't really have time... So we came out here this morning for sunrise, and have just done a shorter walk down into the big hole. It was still rather strenuous!

The canyon is beautiful. It's hard to comprehend something so big! Taking photos of it seems to do an injustice. I've decided that the best was to observe it is to just look at one rock face in particular and try to notice its detail, rather than attempting to take in everything!




Here's me having a good look down into the crevasse....



No comments:

Post a Comment